Are laminate floorings waterproof? To answer this, I will say waterproof laminate is flooring made to keep moisture from soaking into a material, staining it, or causing it to swell and buckle. Laminate flooring is not completely a waterproof flooring option, unlike the vinyl or ceramic tile. Laminate flooring is a synthetic floor that had its first trade in the market in the 1970s.It is the first man-made alternative to natural wood- manufacturers have created more realistic looks that could be easily mistaken as a real wood. But there has been a limit to the strength of a traditional laminate floor- it has never been praised to have the ability to withstand water.
Special thanks to the technology that has now made it possible to have improvements in laminate’s core layer. A manufacturer can now produce the flooring to be able to resist water while still making it affordable for many users.
Let’s Take a Look at Some Pros and Cons of Waterproof Laminate Flooring
- It is better than traditional laminate when it comes to moisture resistance. Waterproof laminate has a moisture resistance core that holds water better than a traditional laminate or hardwood would.
- Close resemblance to natural wood, stone, and granite. Waterproof laminates have a detailed surface that mimics natural hardwood and gives a feel that resembles a hand-scraped hardwood.
- It is easy to install and clean. Most laminate floorings are designed to be used on a floating floor- that is, it is not secured to the ground underneath. DIY can be all you need to install it.
- It resists scratch than vinyl: it has a strong wear layer that shields it from scratches, staining, and wear.
Don’t get too excited about it. Although it is a great waterproof option, let’s consider the downsides.
- It does not resist water as the waterproof vinyl floor does. It resists moisture from up to down, not down to up as in waterproof vinyl. That is, if you pour water on the surface, the water won’t penetrate the interlocking faces, but if you have a moisture issue in the subfloor, it might damage the laminate floor from beneath. It is, therefore, not recommended for bathrooms or basements; since these areas are prone to leakage. See more waterproof flooring for basement and best basement waterproofing sealer.
Buying Guide for Great Waterproof Laminate Flooring
The Thickness of the Board
If you want to have a laminate with a closer look of natural wood, getting a thick board will be the best option. Also, durability can be directly related to the thickness of the board. The least you should go for is a board that 8mm thick; a high-quality flooring will be between 8 to 12mm thick.
What Do You Want?
The kind of atmosphere you want in your room should be considered when choosing a laminate floor. If you want your room to feel bigger, then you should go for a laminate with wide planks and light colors- that will brighten up the room and make it feel larger. If you want a cozy room, go for a laminate with dark dense patterns.
How Busy Is the Room?
Do not forget to check if the room you want to install a laminate flooring experience foot traffic. Consider the people moving through the room and the location of the room. A dark-colored laminate will show less dirt but it will show pet hair. Choose a flooring material that will balance both of these issues nicely.
Great laminate floorings come with a 30-year warranty to withstand staining, fading, peeling, and other defects. You might not want to choose a product that does not give a warranty that lasts at least 20 years.
The 12 Best Waterproof Laminate Flooring
Having looked at what a laminate floor is, the pros and cons, and also the buying guide; let us do a quick market survey and check out some of the best waterproof laminate flooring options.
Turtle Bay Floors Ballard Grey Spalted Maple Plank Floating Laminate Flooring
What good scenery this will add to your home. The grey color makes the room spacious and bright. It adds a cool grey wide-plank spalted maple floor to your space. The Turtle bay Floors Ballard Grey Spalted Maple Plank Floating Laminate Flooring is AC4 rated- it has a high residential or moderate commercial durability. It is finished with woodgrain embossed surface treatment. Easy installation with Unilin locking technology.
- A simple DIY will get the installation done.
- It is a gorgeous and high-quality laminate floor material
- You will be sure to receive compliments daily about your floor
- Not many people know about the turtle bay floor
Feather Lodge Feather Step Casey Key 12.3mm Laminate Flooring
Remember what was said in the entering paragraph about the laminate floor; they are made to be a look-a-like of natural wood. This product, Feather Lodge Feather Step Casey Key 12.3mm Laminate Flooring is a great option if you want the touch of the resemblance of real wood flooring in your house. It has a hand-scraped finish with beveled edges to imitate the look of hardwood. It’s also AC4 rated which makes it highly durable for residences and moderately durable for commercial use. It can last many years even in harsh conditions. Some best waterproof sealer for wood .
- Free shipping for samples
- 30 years warranty
- Gives a warm and rustic feel into a room
- Requires frequent cleaning
Kronoswiss Swiss Prestige Maple 7mm Laminate Flooring
Another great pick from the laminate floors. This product shines a light brown feel in the room. It gives the room a dry and intact look. With the Kronoswiss Swiss Prestige Maple 7mm Laminate Flooring, you get an affordable laminate flooring with an astonishing look. The warm tones, light, and satin texture is a great deal for flooring in several areas of the house. If your house has minimal lighting, this product could be your best flooring choice- it lights up the room in its little way.
- Kids, pets, and family can live on this floor
- No need for tippy-toe on this sturdy floor
- Free shipping on samples
- Quite expensive
Formica Sheet Laminate – Vertical Grade – 4 x 8: Acajou Mahogany
Yet another great product to make up the list of laminate floorings. I guess we can’t exhaust the list, it goes on and on. The Formica Sheet Laminate – Vertical Grade – 4 x 8: Acajou Mahogany has an artisan finish. It is easy to maintain; durable; and impact, scratch, and stain-resistant. If you find it dirty, you can easily clean it up with a damp cloth and a mild liquid detergent. You can be sure to have a product with a graphic pattern and finish to achieve the look you want.
- Made in the USA
- Has varieties of modern pattern
- Can be used in any room
- You need more cash in pocket to make a purchase
BlackJack Premium Laminate and Engineered Wood Flooring Underlayment
There will no good laminate flooring without good preparation. Just as it is important to have a premium quality laminate floor material, it is much more important to prepare the ground well. The underlayment comes first before the main flooring exercise. This product can be used for both laminate and engineered wood flooring. It is dense; its closed cell structure offers mold, moisture, and mildew resistance. The blackjack premium laminate flooring underlayment also offers sound reduction, cushioning, resistance and levels minor subfloor imperfections. It can be easily installed with a plastic overlap and adhesives strip.
- Easy installation
- Ideal for many types of subflooring
- Provides the right cushioning effects for under hardwood
- Can tear easily
Turtle Bay Floors Wide-Plank European Oak Laminate Flooring
With just $2.10/ft you can add a gorgeous wide-plank floor to your space. Just as in other excellent laminate floors, it is AC4 rated- moderate commercial or high residential durability. The turtle bay floor wide-plank European Oak Laminate flooring has a synchronized embossed European Oak woodgrain. With Unilin locking technology, installation is a snap.
- Many years’ effectiveness guaranteed.
- It is a high-quality floor with top features
- You can also purchase underlayment
- Quite new to the users
Formica Brand Laminate 036921246408000 Labrador Granite Laminate, etchings
The premium FX etchings finish captures the subtle play of light that results from tiny fractures and fissures and replicates the owner’s beauty of natural stone and granite. All Formica brand laminates are made with EliteForm surfacing technology, which improves the resistance against scratch and the durability of the laminate. This laminate can be used on desks, cabinets, shelves, walls, and more. Ensure to have a smooth surface while installing this flooring option.
- Can purchase both thick and thin Formica for varieties of surfaces
- Elegant design
- It has fast shipping
- It is fragile
Kronoswiss Swiss SyncChrome Davos Oak 8mm Laminate Flooring D3035CP
First, it meets the required level of thickness, it is an 8mm thick laminate flooring. It has a satin finish with beveled edges, making it durable for commercial and residential use. The kronoswiss swiss syncChrome davos oak flooring has a swiss-click comfort locking system. There is free shipping for its samples.
- 25 years warranty
- Has a lose hardwood resemblance
- Easy to install
- Only samples can be gotten on Amazon
Greatmats Max Tile Laminate Floor
This gives a double dose of effectiveness. It is a laminate tile with a luxury vinyl top with a polypropylene base. The greatmats max tile has a 15-year residential wear layer. You do not need special tools to install it, you can easily assemble and disassemble the tile as frequent as you want. For maintenance, all you need do is to clean with a damp mop, hot water, or common household floor cleaner.
- Versatile for homes athletic and church installations
- Can withstand furniture weight
- Fast delivery
- It is not designed as a chair mat
Manton Cork Underlayment, 100% Natural
I believe you now know that waterproof laminate floors protect against water from up to down. Therefore, this list will not be complete without showing you some good material you can use as an underlayment for your laminate flooring installation. The Manton cork underlayment can be used under hardwood or laminate floors, ceramic tile, and stone. You can reduce the usual sound produced from a laminate floor with this underlayment.
- Offers Stress crack protection
- Can be sized with a razor or knife
- Easy to install with DIY
- It is thin
Floormuffler Ultra Seal Underlayment 300sf
This gives superior acoustic protection to the sub-ground. It gives great control against water; it works will under solid hardwood, engineered wood, and laminate floor. However, it can only be used for a floating floor; this makes it quite compatible with a laminate floor. It is 2mm thick and does not require any additional vapor barrier.
- Delivers a great work under the floor
- Provide adequate protection against moisture
- Ideal for laminate floors
- Cannot be used under carpet
STEICO 3 mm 1/8 Inch Wood Fiber Flooring Underlayment for Laminate Floor
It performs well at controlling sound and improving property noticeability. It has US certification after passing the strictest acoustic tests. We can say this is a great pick for zeroing out floor sound in your room. It has high compression strength and the click-lock protection ensures the floor does not squeak.
- Prevent springy effect when walking
- Works a natural microclimate regulator
- Price is competitive
- DIY might not be the best option for installation
QuietWalk Underlayment for Laminate Flooring
Let’s talk about its uniqueness to other underlayments. It is a good flooring choice for a room that experiences foot traffic. it can be installed over concrete. It is certified to be clean and safe for indoor air quality. This product allows heat to penetrate evenly while helping to shield the floor material from thermal shock.
- Easy installation
- Compression resistant
- It has no VOCs
- Built only for floating floors
Now we have come to the end of our survey. We’ve examined various laminate flooring options, and the varieties of underlayment you can use to prepare the ground for the laminate floor. If you look closely, you will most of the products have almost the same features. Therefore, you only need to look between the line to pick the product that best suite you. Laminate flooring is a great waterproof flooring option if you go about it the right way.