Sealing off your wood with a wood sealer is the best way to preserve your wood. Furniture naturally gets old and wears out, but you can enhance its durability by protecting it with a sealer. Sealing a wood is an easy task, but having the right knowledge about sealers and choosing the right product is not quite an easy task. We have for you, here, the necessary information you need to know about sealers, and also a list of the best water seal for decks products you can find in the market.
- 1 Buying Guide
- 2 Factors to Consider While Buying a Wood Sealer
- 3 The 13 Best Water Seal For Decks
- 3.1 Thompsons WaterSeal TH.A21711-16 Advanced Natural Wood Protector, gallon
- 3.2 Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-1103 Gloss Sealer Ready to Use – Glossy Water Repellent for Wood
- 3.3 Liquid Rubber Foundation and Basement Sealant – Indoor & Outdoor Use
- 3.4 Ready Seal 515 5-Gallon Pail Pecan Exterior Wood Stain and Sealer
- 3.5 Rainguard Waterproofer Advanced 5 Gal Homeowner Clear Masonry & Wood Water Sealer
- 3.6 #1 Deck Wood Deck Paint and Sealer – Advanced Solid Color Deck Stain for Decks
- 3.7 Thompson’s TH.024105-20 Waterseal Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer
- 3.8 #1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain for Decks, Fences, Siding
- 3.9 100% Pure Tung Oil Finish Wood Stain & Natural Sealer for All Types of Wood (32 oz)
- 3.10 DEFY Crystal Clear Composite Deck Waterproofing Sealer, 1 Gallon
- 3.11 Rain Guard Water Sealers CR-0357 Micro-Seal Ready to USE Sealer
- 3.12 Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-6003 Stone Sealer Super Concentrate
- 3.13 Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant – Indoor & Outdoor Coating
- 4 Conclusion
Let us examine vital information about wood sealer- how it works, the different types of sealers available, factors to consider while buying, and how to apply.
How It Works
The wood sealer works majorly through penetration. When the sealer is applied to the wood, it soaks the wood and starts to dry gradually. In the process of drying, the sealer begins to harden the wood and fill up every porous part of the wood. The effectiveness of the sealing process is determined by the porosity of the wood. Not just this, it is also determined by the consistency of the sealer.
Do not be deceived that stains and sealers are the same. They are not. Stains are used for coloring the wood, while sealers are used to provide moisture protection.
Types of Wood Sealer
There are two types of wood sealers, namely, water-based and oil-based sealers.
- Water-based sealer: this is the most popular of all sealers due to several reasons. It is less toxic, and it has less odor. The water-based sealer is harder and can give a dark finish that changes the color of the wood. Although this would only happen if you are using an expired can of the product. Another good about this type of sealer is its quick drying time.
- Oil-based sealer: this is a suitable choice for people who pay attention to the appearance of their wood. This sealer brings out the grain of the wood by darkening it and providing a high level of shine. Most wood that looks smooth and shiny, probably have an oil-based finish.
Factors to Consider While Buying a Wood Sealer
When choosing a sealer for your wood, put the following in mind.
- If you need a sealer for your indoor furniture, you may go for a mild-textured sealer. However, a tougher sealer is the best option for sealing an outdoor wood.
- Choose a sealer with reliable UV protection. UV is a significant cause of cracks and peels in the paint. The UV radiation degrades the paint and finishes by drying out the resin component. It is recommended to go for a product that offers reliable protection against UV radiation.
- Your wood is eco-friendly, so should your sealer be. If you are sealing an outdoor wood, then you should get a non-toxic sealer. This will be more accommodating for visitors and friends.
How to Apply
First, before you start the sealing process, ensure you check for the weather forecast to be sure that there won’t be rain for at least two days. Some sealers take time to dry, and the whole work can be messy if exposed to moisture before drying out. Next, prepare a work surface. Clean out the old finish of the wood; be careful no plant is nearby to prevent spillover. Now, find a soft brush to apply the sealer to the surface. Do not use a sprayer because sealers are too thick. Neither should you use a roller; it will leave many marks and streaks on the wood.
The 13 Best Water Seal For Decks
Thompsons WaterSeal TH.A21711-16 Advanced Natural Wood Protector, gallon
The Thompson water seal wood for decks protector provides a long-lasting coating to resist mildew growth. It also provides reliable protection against UV radiation and color fading. You only need to apply a single coat to either a damp or dry wood. And you can use this sealer on fences, decks, and outdoor wood. You can be sure that there is enough protection for wood against moisture with the Thompson water seal wood for decks protector.
- One coat waterproof
- Maximum strength
- A bit expensive
Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-1103 Gloss Sealer Ready to Use – Glossy Water Repellent for Wood
The rain guard water seal for decks is a high gloss sealer that dries clear with a glossy finish. It is an eco-friendly product with low VOC and low odor. It is a non-yellowing solvent-based sealer that resists UV rays and protects against weathering and freezing temperatures. This sealer works well both on painted or unpainted surfaces as well as stained or unstained surfaces.
- Five years of satisfaction guaranteed
- Safe to use
- Some customer claimed it is not too satisfactory.
Liquid Rubber Foundation and Basement Sealant – Indoor & Outdoor Use
The liquid rubber sealant is ideal for protection against cracks. Its final membrane has over 900% elongation in the sealing material, which prevents adhesion failure that causes cracks. You do not need to mix this product. Simply use a brush, roller, or a quality paint sprayer to apply on your wood. If after sealing your wood, there is left-over, it can be safely kept in the container. The liquid rubber sealant contains no solvent, harmful odor, or VOC. It is safe for both pets and humans.
- Easy to apply
- Environmentally friendly
- Protects against cracks
- Not recommended to be applied with a sprayer
Ready Seal 515 5-Gallon Pail Pecan Exterior Wood Stain and Sealer
Wait to see the wonder of an excellent sealer after fourteen days. You don’t need to rush things; after applying this sealer, it gives the darkest color at first but reaches its exact color in about fourteen days. You can apply the sealer using a brush, a roller, or a sprayer. It requires no back-brushing before its application, and it does not leave laps, runs, and streaks if applied well. This product can be applied in any temperature range and requires no diluting before usage. The ready seal wood stain and sealer protects against UV rays; it resists mildew; it waterproofs.
- Can be applied in any temperature
- No laps, streaks, or runs
- No back-brushing required
- Not ideal for painted or newly stained surfaces
Rainguard Waterproofer Advanced 5 Gal Homeowner Clear Masonry & Wood Water Sealer
With the Rainguard waterproofer, you can save yourself the cost of buying a different product to seal your wood and concrete surfaces. It has a long-lasting and not-easily destructible water-repellant protection for your masonry, wood, and concrete surfaces. It is designed with a formula that makes it work well on pavers, walkways, decks, patios, and driveways. This sealer has colorless protection from stains and weathering, without any change in the appearance of the surface.
- Ten years of satisfaction guaranteed
- 100% eco-friendly
- Safe to use
- Better performance when used by a professional
#1 Deck Wood Deck Paint and Sealer – Advanced Solid Color Deck Stain for Decks
Enjoy maximum protection against peeling, greying, fading, and mildew with this high-quality sealer. This product can be used as a stain and sealer for your wood- you can apply it over an existing stain and solid color wood that still has good adhesion. It is available in five different colors so you can choose the color with which to style your wood. It gives a natural look finish, and it dries well.
- Low odor
- Low VOC
- Usable on all wood surfaces including pressure-treated wood
- Applying with a paint sprayer will not give a desirable result.
Thompson’s TH.024105-20 Waterseal Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer
One of the major reasons for choosing to seal your wood is to protect it against moisture. This sealer from Thompson protects against water damage. It allows your wood to gray naturally. And it can be used on patios, decks, fences, driveways, and other exterior surfaces.
- Easy to use
- Suitable for many outdoor surfaces
- Gives an excellent finish when applied with a pump sprayer
- Not so suitable for driveways
#1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain for Decks, Fences, Siding
Deck premium wood stain protects wood from damage caused by exposure to possible destructive elements. It can be used on pressure-treated wood and other softwoods. If you are using it on hardwood, it will require more frequent maintenance coats. This product can be used both as a deck stain and a deck sealant. It has a natural finish that will enhance the look of your wood. You only need soap and water to clean.
- Easy to use and clean
- Works on damp wood
- Usable on all types of wood
- Be careful not to choose the old version
100% Pure Tung Oil Finish Wood Stain & Natural Sealer for All Types of Wood (32 oz)
A big package is not always necessary for excellent products- you might want to look away from this product at first, but wait till you see what it can do. The pure Tung oil finisher adds depth for an antique-style finish. It helps to create a hand-rubbed look on wood surfaces. After staining or sealing your wood, this oil comes in handy as it helps to give an exceptional finish.
- Dries faster
- Can work on almost all surfaces
- Forms a moisture-resistant barrier to protect your wood
- A single product might not get the job done; you will have to buy more than one product.
DEFY Crystal Clear Composite Deck Waterproofing Sealer, 1 Gallon
This water-based, clear composite deck sealer protect composite wood from the harmful effect of sun ray while adding no change to the look of your wood. The deck crystal is fortified with zinc nano-particle technology- the particle, dispersed on the wood, reflect damaging UV rays, preventing premature graying and color loss. It’s best water seal for decks.
- Extremely durable
- Quality resin with resistance to darkening and fading
- Build to last
- A bit expensive
Rain Guard Water Sealers CR-0357 Micro-Seal Ready to USE Sealer
The rain guard water sealer restores, protects, and extend the life most masonry. This is thanks to a no-sheen formula and non-yellowing technology. Before you apply this sealer, use a primer- to prohibit moisture transfer in the substrate, and protect from oil and anti-freeze. This product gives a 100% penetrating coating to resist water and other agents.
- Ten years of satisfaction
- Available in ready to use formula
- Easy to clean
- It is not consistent
Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-6003 Stone Sealer Super Concentrate
This is yet another product from the rain guard that contains advanced UV stabilizers to ensure long-lasting non-yellowing performance. It will not change the appearance of the surface nor leave the surface film. You can apply this product with a sprayer, roller, or brush. Plus, the product is safe for pets, people, and plants.
- It is eco-friendly
- It’s easy to use
- It is easily mixed and saves money
- Will not produce the desired result if applied without preparing the surface
Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant – Indoor & Outdoor Coating
The last but not least of this list is this highly protective sealer. It protects ponds, metals, basements, foundations, wood, and concrete from damage. Its final membrane has over 1000% elongation, preventing adhesion failure, and it prevents the sun rays from degrading the wood. This environmentally friendly sealer is water-based; contains no harmful odor, VOC, or solvent. You can use it for indoor and outdoor furniture.
- Available in multiple sizes for all home needs
- It dries quickly
- Require more than one coating
- It cannot be combined with other sealants.
We’ve covered the necessary information to know about sealers, and we’ve also looked at some of the best water seal for decks you can find. The industry is filled with many top manufacturers that have lasted for many years- that is why the list has few products from the same manufacturer. Ensure you check the specs of each product before making your choice. You can also seek recommendation from your neighbor to know which manufacturer makes the best product, and also have a satisfactory customer service. Do not forget it is recommended to use a brush in applying the sealer to the wood.